Thursday, February 9, 2012

DELICATE SHARPNESS 11/15/11



It was 4 years ago today that my Dad died, at home in Mecklenburg, facing the window that he had sat in front of for as long as I can remember.  I sat on his lap as a child, in front of this window, as he read to me.  I couldn’t tell you what we read, but I remember the thrill of being that close to him, of feeling the strength and security of his arms around me, the comfort of nuzzling my face into his plaid, button down shirt that smelled of clover and hay.  I savored those moments for all they were worth, for my Dad was not an affectionately demonstrative man.
I remember kneeling in front of him, at his desk by that window, my head in his lap.  Pliers in hand, he made little fanfare of yanking out whichever baby tooth happened to be dangling from my gums at the time.
This was his spot; his desk, his chair by the window. It was where you could find him after a long day in the fields, baling hay or cultivating this or that, his clothes dusty, his work boots left on the mat in the laundry room.  I loved to slip into those boots and clomp around house, but only when he wasn’t looking.  They were soft and oily, the color of freshly roasted coffee beans.
It was at this window that the hospital bed was set up 4 years ago.  It was so strange to see a bed there instead of his desk and chair as they were what had always been there. Just the simple act of moving that desk and that chair from that spot made everything else seem skewed and off balance, a gesture that truly indicated that nothing would ever be as it was before. Everything would forever be changed; nothing could ever put things back in their proper place regardless of how many attempts were made to rearrange things and circumstances.
I remember the snowstorm that evening as I drove pell-mell from Ithaca back to our Mecklenburg home with my oldest sister in my father’s new van.  We had left the house about an hour earlier to pick up my daughter from daycare and I was just getting her out of the car seat when I got the call. A few flurries dusted my eyelashes and I was startled by their delicate sharpness.  By the time we got to Meck the snow was falling in sheets and I couldn’t see regardless of whether I used my high or low beams. It was as if we were driving into a tunnel of snow and I was hypnotized by the rhythmic slapping of the windshield wipers. We felt as if Dad were making it snow and it seemed right and beautiful although we couldn’t have told you why.
A few weeks later I was alone in my car, driving back downtown from the mall.  Looking out over the hills and land that my Dad had loved so (he said that although he had travelled the world there was no place as beautiful as right here) I began to sob, feeling the grief that engulfed me so completely then, and now tends to ebb and flow. I felt so lost, so confused, so angry, so everything.  My relationship with my Dad had been complicated; a source of mystery and conflict for both of us, I think.  And only recently have I been able to know that on the other side of that intense conflict lay the presence of love; a deep and soothing balm of love that had always been there.  Suddenly a car merged in front of me, it’s license plate simply said “Asa.”   Dad was letting me know that he was okay, that I was okay, that we were okay.   My Dad.  Asa.

9 comments:

  1. Aaaaand I'm crying... I loved your dad too. I loved coming to visit 'the farm' as a child, and your dad was always my favorite of the uncles. He had the same mischievous sense of humor that my dad has, and he just had such a lovely and kind face. It meant so much to me to be there for his 70th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cordelia; it meant the world to Dad and the rest of our family that you were there for the 70th birthday gala. Not only were you there, but you were a major contributor in making it into the great event that it was. I was heartbroken that I couldn't come; Dad was actually driving to NC to pick me up (I was 8-mo. pregnant with Ava and coming home under other pretenses as to not ruin the surprise) when I called him on his cell phone, sobbing, because my midwife put the kabash on me travelling. He was so sweet. Even though he had been driving for 8 hr. at that point he just said, "Oh it's okay; I wasn't doing anything today anyway." The perfect thing to say! Anyway, thanks for making that party so special! And I,too, have such great memories of your family visiting the farm when we were little...You were the "exotic" family from California! HA!

      Delete
  2. Hi Paula,

    I've been away for only 10 months, and the shot of Rte. 228 (right?) sent me into my first homesickness. The first house I ever bought on my own was between Shuler and Culver, the pink house with the too-big garage.

    I love the appearance of the license plate.

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Roxanne! I appreciate you reading and commenting; hope you're able to come back soon for a dose of upstate NY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make me cry why don't you
    I miss him everyday
    Love you
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story Paula, your writing is so beautifully evocative! Dads are special & often complex (as so many of us humans are in general) & I feel blessed to have just returned from a very nice visit with my own dad. They have not always gone so well! Hugs to you & Asa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Chantal! Glad that you had a good visit with your Dad; it's so important to get those in, if possible! Thanks for your continued support!

      Delete